- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon of Southern Skillet White Muscadine Vinegar
- 1 (7-pound) whole chicken, giblets removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 1½ lemons, quartered
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, rosemary, oregano, garlic, vinegar and lemon zest.
Place chicken in a roasting pan. Rub oil and herb mixture under skin and over chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place 1 lemon in cavity of chicken. Tie legs together with kitchen twine, tucking wings under.
Roast for 20 minutes at 450 degrees, then reduce temperature to 375. Cook until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees, about an hour. Squeeze remaining half of fresh lemon over entire chicken.
Recipe and photos reprinted with permission from Tasia’s Table, Cooking with the Artisan Cheesemaker at Belle Chevre (NewSouth Books, 2012).