Goat Cheese Rounds
- 4 discs marinated goat cheese from 2 jars of Belle Chevre de Provence (goat cheese in oil with herbs)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, toasted
6 ounces slab bacon, rind discarded if necessary; cut bacon into 1/8 inch thick slices, then cut into 1-inch wide pieces to form lardons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Southern Skillet Sugarcane Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds greens – either dandelion greens, spinach, or endive, with stems and center ribs discarded and leaves cut into 2-inch pieces — about 8-10 cups
Spread breadcrumbs on flat surface. Roll goat cheese rounds in breadcrumbs, then bake on oven rack in middle position at 375 degrees until warmed.
Prepare salad while goat cheese rounds bake. Cook bacon in a heavy 12-inch skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 12 minutes. If necessary pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat. Add oil and shallots to skillet and stir until softened, about 2 minutes. Add sugar cane vinegar, quickly stirring and scraping up browned bits; then stir in sugar and salt. Immediately pour hot dressing and bacon over greens in a large bowl and toss well.
Divide salad among plates and put a warm goat cheese round alongside each salad. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photos reprinted with permission from Tasia’s Table, Cooking with the Artisan Cheesemaker at Belle Chevre (NewSouth Books, 2012).